5 ways to help children grieve
- Be there for the child. Listen when they need to talk, and hug them when they need comfort.
- Share fond memories about the loved one with the child, and encourage them to share their own memories.
- Encourage the child to draw a picture or write a letter to their loved one. These items could be placed in the casket or displayed during the cremation.
- Frame a picture of the loved one for the child or give the child another memento to remember their loved one by. (i.e. coins that were in their pocket, a
favorite pin, etc.)
- Involve the child in the funeral. Let them read a poem or letter they have written, sing or play a song during the service, or even just attend the funeral with
family and friends.